Sunday, February 1, 2009

Visually Impaired Skiier/Spiritually Impaired Christian

So Taylor went skiing last weekend in Big Bear with her BRIGHT orange...and I do mean Cal-Trans bright orange...ski vest announcing to everyone that she is Visually Impaired and that the two ladies with her were her Visually Impaired Skiier Guides. It really is a sight that can't be missed. The vests literally scream out, "Look out below!!!"

It was our second visit to the slopes and the wonderful adaptive ski school at Bear Mountain. The volunteers who work with handicapped children and adults to make skiing accessible to all are amazing! Inspiring to say the least! The first time I saw Taylor heading down the mountain last year, my eyes swelled with tears. I wasn't quite prepared for the swirling emotions and was thankful the tears stayed at bay or they may have turned to icicles right there on my cheeks!

This year watching Taylor and her helpers made me think of all of us who could easily be wearing a huge sign advertising our "Spiritually Impaired Christianity." All of us have times in our lives we feel low, areas we need to work on in our walks with God, times we can be guides to others, and times we want to reach a new peak. How often do we ask for help like Taylor received as the skiier? How often do we help others in need expecting nothing in return like the volunteers? How often do we look to the Bible or other people asking for help when we need it? The resources are there, we need to be honest about where we are and where we can go.

I actually took Taylor down the slopes for the second half of the day, and I am not much of a skiier. It also made me think of how often we can ask for help without thinking of the source. Why not go to the BEST...our Lord! He wears that bright vest every day announcing His guidance and saving power... his vest just happens to be scarred hands, feet, and sides. Are you getting the best advice possible and then reaching out to the people He places in your midst?

3 comments:

Heather BT said...

I didn't realize you were in MI, I am too, Did you meet Sherri Dittamr with little Kayden? Or matthews Gibson (instructing) whose son Wesley is blind? We go camping together in the sumer (just once so far) and would love to have you join us.
Heather BT
http;//adoptakid.blogspot.com

Sarah Weeger said...

Kim! Every time I've read your posts, I've just sat back and thought, "..........WOW." This one wasn't any different. :) love you!!

Sandhya said...

Kim- you have such a way with your words and I love to listen to your life and your stories! Thanks for sharing!!!