Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Challenge

Yesterday was such a special day in the Cox Household. Lauren had her first scrimmage for this softball season, and she did a great job! I celebrated finishing my Braille class, and Taylor attended her first Braille Challenge.

Sometimes just finishing something we've started is a challenge in and of itself. That's how I felt Friday when I turned in my final Braille assignment. I figured I'd better finish my one-year class (that took me a year and a half to complete) in time for Taylor's Braille Challenge. Learning contracted Braille has been like learning a foreign language and is about as hard as some of my Master's classes in college. The joy of completing the challenge was HUGE for me! I wanted to finish before Taylor entered her first Braille Challenge which wasn't anything anyone else was going to celebrate, but I did in secret.

Now, celebrating Taylor's success and Lauren's yesterday were so special. Taylor came out on top of her age group (though she's got a year on the other two contestants) which happened to include a dear friend of ours in the blind community (Brennan) and one of Taylor's "new best friends" (Evelyn) as of yesterday! It was an amazing day celebrating these kids who have put in countless hours cracking the Braille Code.

It makes me think of all the "codes" we're trying to crack all the time. Most importantly, so many people struggle with trying to find the answer to their life's purpose. I am so grateful I understand that I don't have to have the answer on my own. I am just trying to live in obedience to God's Word and along the way I get the answers in so many different forms. What a joy to understand that I don't have to have all the answers or complete a challenge to enjoy my purpose.

1 comment:

Sarah Weeger said...

Kimmer, I just emailed you back but wanted to add a huge CONGRATS to you, too!! I didn't know about your quest to finish your Braille class before Taylor's big competition... how awesome is that?! Always love your posts, Kim. I can't help but take a step back in amazement after every time I read them. Thanks for sharing, sis. Love you!!