Thursday, August 8, 2013

"Maybe the Lord will bless me with..."

I always love summer...that's an understatement! I'd love to shout it out from rooftops...I LOVE SUMMER!!! As a part-time teacher, summer comes with so many rewards. Recently, Taylor and I were discussing how much more relaxed summer is. We were talking about how hard homework can be for both of us since it just takes a LOT of time with the brailled pages, making sure we have all the work in braille, finding the right places in the textbook, balancing the books with her brailler and braille paper...it is a LOT of work. Taylor has always done an amazing job of keeping up with her regular classroom work, including homework, though it does take us longer and can create some stress around our house in the evenings. Taylor was thanking me for learning braille and helping her with her work all the time..."even when you're not always so patient, Mom." Ouch. So true. Then she got real quiet and was thinking. I asked what she was thinking about. She asked, "How am I going to help my children with their homework? I can't even read it or find the right pages for them." I was choking back a few tears, so I couldn't answer, but then Taylor burst forth. "Mom, maybe the Lord will bless me with a blind child! Then I could help them with everything!" Wow! Out of the mouths of babes. Talk about a sweet paradigm shift. Taylor's comment made me think of the sweet gift it is to learn how to be the best Mom I can to be to each of my girls. Each one is so unique and needs totally different things at different times. What a treasure to think of the blessing it is to grow and learn alongside them.

2 comments:

mommahud8 said...

"Oh Kim!"
It's about all I can say right now, except I love you...all!

Kim said...

I love learning from Lauren and Taylor. They are remarkable.