Thursday, November 6, 2008

All the Colors of a Rainbow

There are a few things that still make me tear up thinking about them...knowing Taylor cannot see them. The parades at Disney are one, lights at Christmastime another, and the beauty of a rainbow a significant third. Rainbows have always been one of my most favorite things to see. Long before I realized it was God's promise He would never flood the earth again, I loved to stare at the "ROY-G-BIV" arch in the sky with my dad. I used to look for the beginning and the end of one bow and hope to find the pot of gold at the end. On the rare occasion I'd see both sides, I'd run toward the "closer" end hoping to find that end of the rainbow and get the promise of gold.

Now, I realize rainbows are just one of those things I'll never really truly be able to explain to Taylor because they are a purely visual phenomenon. I have always been awed by their striking beauty, their magnificence that illuminates the sky and arches through those billowing clouds. They are absolutely stunning! I still can't even try to explain one to her without choking up. (Of course, I can't explain Disney parades either which is why you'll probably find me in sunglasses at each parade no matter what time of day or night that show is at! But there are plenty of other sensory effects at Disneyland to keep her attention!)

Sometimes, I feel the same way about my relationship with God as I do about explaining a rainbow to Tay. It is the most beautiful thing in my life, but to others it's nothing they can relate to. I wish I could explain to others just how awesome and illuminating a relationship with Jesus is, but I also realize no matter how much explaining there is, until they see it and want to experience it for themselves, it really isn't all that beautiful. I also understand that I won't see all the colors and the whole rainbow at once. I get to see parts of the rainbow all the time. It's beautiful all right, but the whole picture will only be complete when I'm face-to-face with the creator of those rainbows and the One who created me.

No comments: