Saturday, September 27, 2014

Handicapped???

     Middle school is truly happening.  The good, the bad, and the ugly...here it all is in one story.
    
     Taylor came home the other afternoon and asked as we were heading to jiu jitsu practice, "Mom, am I handicapped?"
     I answered, "You're handicapable, Taylor."  (Our joke following a piano recital when a student mentions this PC term as the appropriate way to describe blind people.)  I continue, "Taylor,  by the world's standards you are handicapped.  By God's standards, you are exactly the masterpiece He created and knew He would create."  Topic dropped, and we were off and running for the rest of the evening.
   
     Fast forward to bed time...
     Taylor told Lauren and I that someone called her handicapped at P.E.  She continued, "It's OK though because my friend Thayna called them idiots, and I yelled out, 'I heard that.'"  She kept telling us about the other students on her football team sticking up for her telling the kid, "She's blind not deaf."  The whole team was on Taylor's side against this one ignorant child.
     As I was soaking it in and wanting to punch this kid in the nose (which is probably why kids don't want their parents on the middle school campuses often), Lauren chimed in, "Taylor, you should've just told him you are handicapped, and that's why you get to go to the front of the line at Disneyland."  I loved hearing this interaction and loved that these kids stuck up for Taylor even through the heartache as a mom hearing this was what she had to go through this day.  It stinks being different, especially in middle school when most kids just want to blend into the crowd.

     I also got to thinking about all the ways I am handicapped and God lets me to the front of the line anyway.  He's gonna let me right into heaven because I've got my "ticket."  I asked Jesus to forgive me and be my Savior.  I'm in.  I'm handicapped every time I'm asked to share our family's story.  He gives me courage and strength to share His words anyway.  I'm handicapped when I lose my cool.  He forgives me anyway.  I'm handicapped when I make a stupid comment or judgment just like this kid.  He shows me tenderly the right way to see others. Handicapped...and handicapable!

No comments: