Sunday, July 13, 2014

5th Grader of the Year

    "And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching."  Hebrews 10:24-25

     I'd been dreading the last day of elementary school for about 2 years now.  There are no words to describe the gratitude we have for every student and teacher, staff member and parent at Smith Elementary School.  Everyone was amazing from the first day of Kindergarten with Lauren to the last day of 5th grade with Taylor.  We tried to do what we could to thank them over the years, but it was in June that things just really felt totally overwhelming emotionally. 
     Several parents and I put together a luncheon thanking the staff for their many years of dedication to those of us whose youngest child was moving on to middle school.  It was a way of looking back over the years and thanking teachers for their love and support for our children.  I look back at the way the Kindergarten and 1st grade teachers took a chance on Taylor without knowing what kind of experience it would be for them, for us, for the other children, for anyone.  They never doubted themselves or Taylor's abilities once.  The other children and parents at Smith embraced Taylor the moment they saw her which was 2 years before she ever started Kindergarten because she'd be with me dropping off and picking up Lauren.  It was remarkable.
     The last week of 5th grade is a special awards ceremony.  Parents are welcome, and students are given awards for academics, attendance, responsibility, citizenship, artistic talents, and several others.  There is one award honoring a 5th grader each year.  Taylor received that honor. 
     We had no idea and almost didn't make this assembly a priority because of our work commitments.  It wasn't that we didn't think it was important or special, it was just trying to figure out what we could miss work for and what we couldn't this last week of school.  There are so many different events that come up.  I am SOOOOO thankful we were there!  We asked my parents to go, and my aunt visiting from Spokane was there too.
     The emotions of the month welled up inside me as I realized they were going to honor Taylor. Mrs. Beck, our principal, read a paragraph of Taylor's accomplishments and mentioned that at Outdoor Science School a huge group of her classmates helped her reach a steep peak, guiding her and cheering her on those last grueling steps.  (After the ceremony, I just let it all go with my dad's arm around my shoulder.  It was completely overwhelming.)  I realized all the people involved in making this award happen. Every teacher, every student, every parent, each staff member had been a part of Taylor receiving this award.  If it could ever have been given to an entire class this was the year.  Taylor's successes are only because of all the people who surround her.  The encouragement she's received from Day 1 has gotten her where she is.  The belief that she can do all things through Christ who gives her strength (Phillipians4:13) is evident in what she does and who she is.  The understanding of building others up and spurring one another on to do good works (Hebrews 10:24) is how she gets it done.  Never before have I seen so clearly how the Body of Christ can work and has to work for God to move mightily!  And to think I almost missed it
     How many times have I almost missed God's timing or have I missed His calling?  I am beyond grateful for this experience in so many ways.  How many times do I almost miss it, and how many times do I miss out on working together with others because I think I can get it done?  Taylor's award was representative of mountains being moved TOGETHER! 

2 comments:

mommahud8 said...

Kim, this made me cry! It's true that Tay has been surrounded by so much love and support at Smith, from classmates in general helping her learn to jump rope, to Hannah in particular who has been at her side from preschool. It is overwhelming how one child spreads the message of the gospel by her life. "Love one another as I have loved you!" And thank you for being who you are and raising wonderful girls!

Kim said...

Mom, it was so special getting to share this with you and Dad. I was overcome with emotions for sure! Hanna is an incredible gift to our family! I sure appreciate all the love and support starting with our family and spreading out to the community!