Friday, July 11, 2014

Just Say Yes

     This has been a fantastic few weeks...insane scheduling and chaotic time, but fantastic!!!  Lauren has reluctantly said yes to a couple of things that have had huge payoffs.  The "Yes Attitude" has paid off in tremendous ways!
     Lauren was a catcher in our championship tournament for softball a few weeks ago.  She hasn't played catcher since she was in the 8U division, (5 years ago!) and she only played 2 weeks back then.  She had a blast using her regular mitt rather than the specific catcher's mitt, calling pitches, seeing the game from a completely different angle, and even held the runners at their bases.  She looked like a bit of a pro, not that I'm biased or anything!  She was afraid of being in that spot but said yes anyway.  It paid off!
     A week later, she was partnered up as a "Buddy" for a special needs child at Beach Cities Church's weeklong camp.  She was not too excited about this volunteer position, but we discussed committing to the role for the first week of camp since it was where the staff felt she would best be utililized.  (I told her if she wasn't comfortable with it, she could take on a different job for the 2nd week of camp.)  She reluctantly agreed.  Well, we found out she was Buddied with our dear friend Scotty.  He is a 6 year-old vibrant, handsome, charming, energetic little guy who happens to have a mild case of Cerebral Palsy.  Scotty and Lauren bonded immediately!  Each day he would run from his parents to Lauren as soon as he saw her on campus.  It was beautiful!
     I saw reluctant and hesitant "yeses" turn into some pretty special moments and memories.  How often am I reluctant to say Yes to the Lord because it just doesn't seem to fit into my schedule, my plan, my desires?  I loved seeing Lauren's yes turn into these beautiful memories, and I can certainly look back with fondness at the times I've trusted the Lord and said yes when I feel that nudge (or push) to go for it.  I guess the lesson  for me is to Just Say Yes!!!



2 comments:

mommahud8 said...

Beautifully said, Kim, and a timely reminder for me! Love you always!

Kim said...

Mom, you're the greatest! I love you