Sunday, July 27, 2014

Secret Location

     Yesterday was our first Car Rallye (yep, that's the way it's spelled) with Braille Institute.  The blind kiddos are the navigator for drivers who bring their decked out cars to Los Angeles.  The parking lot was full of 48 cars...."Old Fashioned" ones, police cars, vintage ones, Porsches, Back-to-the-Future styled DeLoreans, souped-up everythings, Vipers, smart cars.  Basically, you name it, it may have been there.  It was a sight to see...and watching the kids feel their way around their cars was awesome!
     The coolest thing about the event is there is a secret location only a few parents (who ask until they find out like me) and the organizers know about.  The drivers are expected to take direction from the students who read the directions in Braille.  The drivers CAN read the Large-Print directions if they choose, but they are not allowed to run for the winners' categories if they do so.  They totally trust this blind child sitting next to them.  It's so stinkin' cool!
     I was one of the few parents to hang out with the kids since I was new to the event and like to see what these things are all about before trusting anyone with my kid for 4 hours in a car alone.  I was so thankful Taylor was with a husband and wife team.  They seemed great enough to spend the day with Taylor.  I watched the send off and figured I'd meet up with them at the secret location several hours later. Off they went.  I LOVED BEING THERE!


      I got to meet up with Taylor, Miss Patty, and Mr. Skip after 4 hours!!!  They literally spent the entire time driving, taking direction from an 11-year-old blind girl, and getting to know each other a little better along the way.  Taylor found out this couple lost their 40-something year-old son to cancer about a year ago.  She told them how sorry she was.  They found out her secret boyfriend is Scotty McCreary when his song belted out of the radio.  She told them about her sister, her parents.  They told her how much fun they have spending time with children and giving back to the community since they don't have grandchildren of their own.  Taylor was exhausted after the drive, and Patty and Skip let me know she was their first navigator who hadn't fallen asleep on the road! 
     As I was driving home, I realized this event is much like life with Jesus.  I am born into the world, and as soon as we make our entrance, we're rushed off to the great game of Life.  We can have the directions in our Bibles and through prayer, but really we have no idea what the exact directions for our life say.  For Christians, we know our "secret location" is Heaven, and I know I get to be reunited with my Father and family one day.  In the meantime, I'm doing my best to navigate the way and making mistakes en route.  It's comforting knowing the Lord is truly doing the driving and my back is covered if I get too far off track.  I love that He allows us to make mistakes and guides us back onto the right path.  He doesn't just take over, He wants us to experience the thrill of the ride all the while being right there with us.  Sometimes, it's totally painful and other times we're riding the mountaintops.  One day we get to make it to our not-so-secret Secret Location! 

1 comment:

mommahud8 said...

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!