Sunday, December 28, 2008

Blind and Seek

"Like one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not." Isaiah 53:3
Taylor started her own version of hide-and-seek while "watching" one of Lauren's soccer games this year. The game started after a solid ten minutes of chanting (loudly), "Boring, boring, boring," while sitting in her chair. We've given her all sorts of means to get involved in the game in her own way...pompoms, cheer sticks, bam-bam sticks, etc. This time nothing was killing her boredom.

Taylor decided she wanted to play hide-and-seek. Well, her version went something like this. "Mom, you count. I'll hide." Of course, I had to appease her to keep one eye on the game for Lauren. So off I went counting, and off Taylor went "hiding." When I got to ten and said, "Ready or not, here I come," she squatted down, and yelled, "OK, Mom. Come and find me." I could also hear her saying to herself, "This is a great hiding spot." Little did she know it was literally right in the open of the field. Of course, I would say the usual, "Now, where is that Taylor?" to which she would giggle from her squat.

After playing and watching Lauren at the same time, I got to thinking, this game is like when we are missing something right there in front of us! Sometimes we think we're hiding from God or He's hiding from us, but He's literally right there in the open. He's never hiding though sometimes it feels like He might be far away. We're never able to hide anything from Him. He sees it all. I can imagine Him wanting to say, "Ready or not, here I come," but He'd never do that to us. He always gives us the choice. What's your choice today?

1 comment:

Heather BT said...

I've been thinking about her hide and seek technique for a while. Not sure why. Then it hit me - for blind people, being way out in the open IS a great hiding spot because you're less likely to be found. If she hid along a wall, or next to a piece of furniture, it would be easier for other blind people to find her as they felt their way around the room. Or at least so it seems to me