Monday, December 22, 2008

Happy Birthday Jesus!

" 'I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord.' " Luke 2:10-11

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Christmas is my favorite season of the year...by far! I love the Christmas carols, preparing for Jesus' birthday, shopping for presents, giving presents, EVERYTHING!!! I even love the hustle and bustle (as long as I'm slightly geared up for the longer lines and attitude adjustments I need along the way!).

My favorite memories of Christmas always revolved around looking at the Christmas lights. Obviously, this has absolutely ZERO meaning whatsoever for Taylor. I loved taking Lauren her first two Christmases to my mom's house because in the next neighborhood is one of the greatest displays of neighborhood Christmas lights you can imagine! I got giddy bringing Lauren over there to share in my favorite childhood Christmas memories.

The year we brought Taylor over there, those same giddy feelings turned to great sadness. I have truly had to recreate Christmas memories and bring different senses to the forefront at Christmastime. It is a reminder constantly of keeping Jesus at the center because all the other stuff really doesn't matter...as much fun as it all is!

This year, we have had to realize what is really important as Mike's dad suffered a stroke just two days ago. Christmas is JESUS! It was the greatest reminder of going back to the basics when Lauren and Taylor's first reaction to hearing about Grandpa Russ was, "Well, Mom, we just have to pray." Yes, we have to! What gifts have you been given this Christmas day...and most importantly, have you received the free gift of Jesus Himself? Though we celebrate Christmas but one day each year, He gives Himself to us every day every year!

No comments: