Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Blackout

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."

On Valentine's Day-Night, about 7:45, we had a blackout. Apparently, a mylar balloon got stuck somewhere that blew a transformer. The girls were at church until we headed home into the eerie darkness at 8:15. We had been warned by friends from church, and the entire way home, I had some pretty scared kids. "Mom, I don't want it to be dark," from Lauren, and Taylor said, "I know I can't see the difference, but I'm pretty freaked out." We had a great opportunity to talk about all we take for granted with the electricity and prayed for those who don't have warm covers, a home, a radio to listen to at night, and lots of other luxuries that come with paid electric bills. We also thought about the hundreds of businesses that were losing tons of cash on the biggest restaurant night of the year.

We got home, and Mike had already lit the candles, set out flashlights, and started to think about when the lights would come on. We were getting texts from other people in the area who were more up-to-speed than we were. The girls were starting to adjust to the "fun" of using flashlights and candles when it was time to head up to bed. Lauren is already scared of the dark, so this just added fuel to her scare factor.

All of a sudden, Taylor blurts out, "Hey, I can lead you around the house everyone. Just follow me!" She bolted up the stairs and started clapping for us to hear and follow her. (She had no idea we were using our flashlights, but I am so thankful I could see the pride radiate from her face!) It was awesome to see her take charge and use her skills to lead us for a change. I was one proud Mom!

Then I started thinking. We take light for granted, of course we do. I also take for granted being able to read my Bible. It truly is a "lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." What happens if I ever lose that chance? I can hide those truths in my heart and learn and love and use them if I read and memorize them. I love reading the promises and truths (even the tough ones) and know that whenever I need a lift, an answer, an encouraging word, I can find it there from God Himself. I love that God's Word provides the true light for my path always.

No comments: