Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Work of God

"As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. His disciples asked him, 'Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?'


'Neither this man nor his parents sinned,' Jesus said, 'but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life.' " John 9:1-3


I've read this passage of scripture many times and am always thrilled that Jesus points out the man's blindness is not caused by anyone's sins and is for God's work displayed through the man. The passage goes on to show Jesus spitting on the ground, creating a mud paste with his saliva, and putting it on the man's eyes. The man goes to the Pool of Siloam, washes, and can see. No one can believe it, and the man has to tell people over and over he is truly the blind man who can now see. (I always love hearing and imagining the passion in this man's voice as he continually says he is the man throughout the religious leaders' arguments about Jesus healing him. He finally says, " 'Whether he is a sinner or not, I don’t know. One thing I do know. I was blind but now I see!'
26 Then they asked him, 'What did he do to you? How did he open your eyes?'
27 He answered, 'I have told you already and you did not listen. Why do you want to hear it again? Do you want to become his disciples too?' " I laugh imagining this man's frustations telling the same amazing story over and over since I can only imagine his unbelievable excitement over being able to see for the first time in his life!)


Well, as I read it recently, I realized this man was born blind for this exact moment in time. His birth was for this moment to be recorded for all to know and "that the work of God might be displayed in his life." Those words kept echoing over and over. I think of the pain the parents went through as he was born, throughout his years, and the glory of God displayed this very moment...all planned by God for God.


I am so thankful for all that we see displayed through Lauren and Taylor. I am so thankful for all the lessons I've learned being Mom to both these girls. I am also so thankful for God's Word and for the lessons I learn through it each day. I am blown away as I realize this man was born blind as part of God's plan that on that appointed day, the work of Jesus was displayed through him. I love that I can read this story and know that his story reaches generations over thousands of years and God's glory is still displayed through him. May God be glorified through my life!




1 comment:

mommahud8 said...

Kim- we are sooo blessed! I too am thankful for the gifts of all these incredible children God has entrusted us with, not only our grandchildre, but our own amazing children as well! Glory to God!
I love you and stand in awe!
Mom