Thursday, February 2, 2012

Fight Day!

"Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." Philippians 3:13-15

This past weekend was nothing short of AMAZING! I am one proud mama of 2 girls. Lauren had her first softball scrimmage and took a leadership role on the field. We see it everyday as she proudly looks after and walks side-by-side with Taylor, but it was special to see it on the field.

Taylor had her first jiu-jitsu fight. That's right...a real, live grappling fight in a huge tournament. To use the word AWESOME is an understatement. Inspiring, gutsy, courageous, deteremined, WINNER, CHAMPION! I cannot really put into words the right terms for what happened on the mat and in my heart Sunday morning.

Taylor's been training for about seven months. I thank (OK, blame) my dear friend Parisa for getting us into this sport. She's the one who took our teacher, Bill, up on his offer of training blind children for free. You see, he's blind as well and is a black belt in the sport. None of his students are visually impaired, and he wanted to give back to the blind community, as well as teach his students what is was like to train with the visually impaired. It's been a part-time job and one for which I am thankful. Taylor will be able to protect herself that day she's on a bus or walking the streets independently.

So Sunday was her first tournament. Not too many people realized she was blind since there were 3 blind people in the entire gym! (Taylor, her buddy Brennan, and Coach Bill) It was a full house with hundreds of kids signed up to fight in different divisions. She, well really all of us, were so nervous. Taylor's first fight was tough to say the least! She lost 24-0, but I have never been so proud of her in my entire life. She got up from the mat, smiled as her hand was lowered signifying she lost the fight, but inside she knew she was a true champion! This girl has more guts than I ever would have. Her sister has supported her throughout the long practices, the tears and fears each day driving to class, and the victory of finishing.

I learned something huge Sunday...first place, last place, who cares...just finish! I want to fight on here. I watched Taylor and later thought of all the family and friends we know who are fighting for their lives...literally. I thought of all of us fighting against our fears, fighting the spiritual battles that rage, fighting determined to finish strong. I am still in awe of what I learn and how God teaches me all the time.

Here's a video link my talented sister Sarah put together so you can see for yourself.
http://youtu.be/daGmPKdd5Vg

No comments: