Sunday, January 19, 2014

Moms

     There have been many Mom-moments in my life the last few weeks.  I have seen some super exciting "ups" but have seen some sad "downs" these last few weeks with respect to different moms in my life.  It's made me realize how lucky I am to be a mom, to have my mom and my mother-in-law, special friends, sisters and sisters-in-law for lifelong friends and role models.
     Yesterday, I was invited to a "Celebration of Life" for a "Kindergarten Mom" as we called ourselves, a group of 6 moms who met when our children were in Kindergarten together.  (Those kids are now in seventh grade!)  This woman, Sue, fought lung cancer before succumbing to it after 9 years.  She used every single day of that 9 years to invest in her one and only son, Jake.  Her son knew his mom because of Sue's daily fight to give him one more day with his mom.
     This month, an incredible woman lost her one and only opportunity to become a mom when the surrogate chosen to carry their baby miscarried that unborn life.  This woman was Lauren and Taylor's 3rd grade teacher who has left her handprints all over my daughters' hearts.  She fought and won her battle with breast cancer, but she was diagnosed before she and her husband had children of their own.  I could not imagine a greater mom than Mrs. Edwards.  She mothers over 30 students each day, and she brings life into the classroom with her creativity stemming from the amazing things her mom taught her.
     I do not claim to understand the whys of this world, and often times, it's all I can do to put one foot in front of the other so I don't think too long and hard about the sufferings of others.  That is when I become paralyzed in my own functioning.  I do know these two women have made me appreciate my own daughters that much more.  I am grateful I get to spend time with them, grateful I get to learn about parenting and more about life in general because of them.  I am thankful for my own mom and the unbelievable memories we have together throughout my entire lifespan.  I am thankful for my mother-in-law who has taught me so much and has treated me like her own daughter.  I want to seize opportunities with Lauren and Taylor like never before.  I want to be a mom they love, respect, have fun with, and one with whom they can share all their ups and downs.

3 comments:

mommahud8 said...

Kim- I love you sooo much! I appreciate your insight and your grateful spirit. We have no answers as to the why's in life and life does not treat us fairly. The one constant is His presence to get us through, and you live this so beautifully!

Kim said...

Thanks so much, Mom. Man oh man, I have to rely on His presence ever so present in my life! I am so thankful.

Unknown said...

Asian culture seperates two concepts called karma and dharma. Karma is when people's belief that their actions are good or bad causes them to be stuck in a mental loop of drawing and accepting suffering into their lives. Dharma is realizing there is a way to escape that loop (which is living in a state of grace). Adam and Eve could be said to be living without Karma until they started believing in evil. From an Eastern perspective Jesus offered everyone the insight of leaving karma behind to live on the path of dharma. Living in the state of grace is the English term for living on the dharmatic path. I used to feel really sad for the suffering of others and wonder how a God could allow that. I think the easiest explanation is that God allows free will for humanity and humanity allows the suffering, mostly due to the illusion that they can not avoid repeating past mistakes, or that they can not make a difference. We can all make a positive difference in the world, but I feel we were meant to be able to enjoy quiet moments of each day as well. It's definately a hard balance to find.